Saturday 26 January 2008

Colin Croft

I recognise the name Colin Croft more from his commentaty stints on TMS on the radio rather than from his playing days (here's a photo from Spring 1981, l-r Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Colin Croft & Joel Garner). I met him on Wednesday night, as he's coaching at our pre-season cricket nets! Littlewick have joined forces with one of our rival clubs to share the cost of running nets, as both clubs had trouble getting enough people to attend in their own right. I don't know how they did it, but they arranged for Colin Croft to come and coach us! Littlewick still only contributed 6 players, and White Waltham brought 17. There were people of all ages and shapes, and I don't think any of us were expecting to be jumping around and running up and down a sports hall bouncing basketballs, but that's what he had us doing for the first 20 minutes as a warm up. We were then split into two groups, and his assistant took one group for fielding drills, and the other group went with him to do bowling and batting in the nets. By the time I got round to batting he switched roles to take the fielding drills, so he couldn't stand back and admire the cover drives, pulls and straight drives I executed with the kind of mistiming you can only achieve when you try batting for the first time in 4 months. Actually, one or two did come out of the middle of the bat, and my judgement for leaving deliveries was good too, so I'm thinking I might fill the new gap for an opening bat for the second XI this summer. Seeing as we've got a West Indian fast bowler as a coach, I might try and get over my bowling yips and give that another go too!

No comments: