Thursday, 19 April 2012

5 week report

Another 10 days fly past, everything seems to be moving so quickly at the moment, weeks just whizz by. Between the normal routine of Lara and the dogs, and work, we obviously have the extra fun invoved with Danny, I'm back working full time, and we're still trying to sell the house (we've had a couple of second viewings, some rather disrespectful offers refused, and another second viewing coming up on Saturday morning), but there are still only 24 hours in a day, just as before.
Good old Evernote to the rescue, I note down things I should blog about after they've happened, so let me go through my list, in no particular order.
OK, Danny first, of course. We had our last visit from the Health Visitor on Tuesday, and Danny is weighed in at 5.02kg at 5 weeks. This puts him firmly on the 75th percentile, and he has definitely grown into himself now; we've already retired some of his clothes that he's grown out of, and he's onto size 2 pampers. His jaundice is almost gone now, his eyes are properly white (and blue!), though he does seem to have a small hernia. His gunky left eye now seems to be almost back to normal, with very little if any yellow discharge after sleeps.
Here's a good way to compare how he's filled out, a photo from when he's four days old, and one when he's four weeks old:
Other notable Danny-related things - last Wednesday when he was just under a month old, we had our first go at me feeding him from a bottle. Olga is expressing at a rate that makes me think we'll need to buy a chest freezer to keep it all in, so it seemed sensible to have a go at using some of the resource. He took it very well, and it let me catch up on some recorded TV while Olga grabbed some well earned uninterrupted sleep. I got up on Sunday morning with him at 6am and took him downstairs to repeat the process, and it worked well then, so we've agreed to make that Sunday morning plan a regular thing, so Olga gets a lie-in, and Danny and I cann watch Match of the Day, or a Grand Prix as it was on Sunday, with a bottle of milk.
Just after his 5th week anniversary we decided we'd try him sleeping in his own room. It's right next door to us, and between a monitor and an infrared IP camera, we can see and hear him. That worked really well, so he's officially moved out of our room now. Last night, his second in his room, he slept uninterrupted for six and a half hours between feeds, a personal best by some two hours. This might be something to do with the Infacol we've started him on before feeds, to help him with his windy problems - he's been quite a grunter after feeds, straining a lot, and Infacol seems to be helping.
He continues to be erratic in his feeding patterns, he can go 3 to 4 hours during the day between feeds, but then the next day he'll feed almost hourly. We're not too bothered about it at the moment, he can feed when it suits him, though we'll start to try and get him into a routine of longer feeds with longer gaps between soon.
It must be a second child thing, but I've realised I've not taken too many new photographs of him in the past two weeks - I will resolve that before the next post about him! Here's one from this morning, but it's mainly about Olga multitasking!:

I think I'll do a new post about Lara and other things...

No comments: