Wednesday 3 October 2007

Turkey on Sunday. No! Not for tea...

or

I booked our holiday today, finally. A week All-Inclusive at the Club Akman Park Hotel in Kemer, Turkey. Kemer "used to be very nice until they built a load of 5* hotels there (obviously including our 4* one!) " according to one post on the Lonely Planet site, but frankly we're not slightly bothered about that, we wanted nice temperatures, a pool, the sea and no hassles about where to eat and drink, so it sounds perfect for us. www.tripadvisor.com (my personal favourite site for hotel reviews) included this as a typical review from a guest this summer:

"Akman park was very nice with nice foilage and walkways the food was as we would expect in Turkey with lots of salads pasta and stir frys. Pizza was available most days from about 10 15am until 5pm. The entertainment team do try their best but this hotel is not used to getting english guests (but they welcome you with open arms) guests are mainly russian,french and few germans. We did get on with most guests but what we did find was that they were very pushy espcially at the bar and the restaurant. The guys behind the bar are really good they try to do there best and you get PINT glasses for beer. The water slide was fun as big kids we had to try it."

So the fact Russians go there is encouraging, it sounds like there will be more Russians than English. Anyway, the flights are at good times, or bad times, depending on when you like to fly. We leave from Gatwick South Terminal (aah, Pikey Central, I must make sure Olga wears her pink tracksuit, and I have to dig out my best vest) at 9pm on Sunday, and arrive at 3am local time, but we've splashed out on return coach transfers, so at least I won't be arguing with a Turkish taxi driver at 4am. We fly back overnight on the Sunday/Monday, so we'll have to come straight to work on Monday morning, but that's not a big deal, at least we get the full Sunday in the resort.
So, time to dig out the suncream (and also umbrella - this week's forecast is mid-80s but with showers) and the Frank Sinatra biography I've been trying to read.
As is always the way, no sooner had I booked it through a travel agent, then i found that if I'd booked it all seperately myself I could have saved us a chunk of cash. Oh well. One less kebab for me next week.

No comments: