Sunday 1 May 2011

A trip to Hyde Park

I went into London on Friday to join in the celebrations for the Royal Wedding. I would have liked to have taken Lara, but with the crowds and trying to keep her entertained during the duller parts of the ceremony, it seemed better to leave her at home with Baba so they could watch on TV, and I could enjoy the atmosphere without worrying about her.
Hyde Park was fantastic, they had put up three huge screens, and lots of speakers, so no matter where you stood or sat, you got a good view and could hear clearly what was happening. It was cloudy and a little chilly to start with, but as if they had planned it, the sun came out exactly as Catherine arrived at the alter. From that point on it got warmer and clearer, and the crowd in the park cheered at the "I do" moments, and joined in with Jerusalem and the National Anthem, and the Queen proved very popular too, getting lots of cheers anytime she appeared. The highlights were those kisses on the balcony, then the fly past. Having been in Hyde Park for the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002, when concorde made a flypast, I knew where the Lancaster bomber, Spitfire and Hurricane would come from, and it was great to see (and hear) them, but after they'd passed the palace, they turned 180 degrees and flew right over the crowd in Hyde Park, still very low, it was a fantastic bonus.



After the flypast there was a live band on stage in the park, and they had a "crowd vote" to decide the most popular song to play at a wedding reception, with Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing" beating Bryan Adams' "Everything I do", and there was a mass karaoke session, which was very amusing.



And when I got home, my own little Princess was waiting for me, complete with the forced grin that many a bride knows on her wedding day, I'm sure!
:

No comments: