Monday, 7 September 2009

Lara's Nursery - the Next Stage

Today was a big day for Lara, she has been promoted from a Penguin to a Dolphin. This just means that after a year spent in the "baby" room at nursery, she moved up to the next level. The nursery make these moves every six months, depending on the development of the child, and six months ago Lara wasn't quite ready to move up, so she's had to wait until today. The nursery have been very good at getting Lara ready for it, she's been spending more and more time in the Dolphins room over the past few weeks, and her best friends from Penguins - James (her boyfriend) and Chloe (her best girly mate - they were comparing what they were wearing when they met up this morning!) - are there already, so she'll settle in without any problems. The staff said she didn't stop smiling all day, and has already played with every toy in the room. She was trying on a necklace when we arrived to pick her up, no doubt getting ready for a night out with Chloe.
The other significant nursery news is that Lara will attend full-time now, five days a week. Lots of reasons really, but Lara seems to really enjoy it there, so whilst we'd like to keep it at four days, it's not the end of the world to have her there all week. We'll look for something in Marlow during the day that we could take her to for an hour or so, perhaps swimming, then she won't feel that we've abandoned her completely!

Foodwise, she's getting more insistent that she feeds herself, with the kind of mess that's clear to see from this photo that Olga took recently when she had bolognese for tea. This is the least-evil looking photo of four that were taken!!

She's still sleeping very well, although she persists in this strange, unconcious habit of waking briefly between 5.15 and 6am, crying for two or three seconds (just long enough to wake me up) then going back to sleep. I say 5.15 to 6, but 3 days out of 5 it will almost certainly be 5 minutes either side of 5.45am, it's the wierdest thing! This morning it was 5.27, then she went back to sleep until 6.30, and I thought that was it, so much so that my feet hit the bedroom floor and I opened both eyes, but before I could get up, she drifted back off to sleep until the more usual wake up time of 7.20something. She has this nice way of getting us up by asking for one of us rather than screaming her head off. We'll hear a soft, plaintive "Maaaammaaa" or "Baabbaaa". She's not quite mastered a "pah" sound yet, so I'm still Baba rather than Papa.

We've found a colony of frogs in the garden, and every day when we get home from nursery, we take Lara out to see them, and in today's case, talk to them...:

There is a small frog sitting on the tree trunk, Lara could certainly see if, even if it doesn't show up on the video too well!

No comments: